Local Infant Feeding Support
Breastfeeding Counsellors in South Warwickshire- available to all new mothers for support with feeding young babies:
Warwick, Leamington and Kenilworth
Lisa (NCT) 07906 959 632 (charge for home-based support)
Paula (NCT) 07788 695 002
Louise (NCT) 01926 853 567
Jackie (ABM) 07525 209 002 (charge for home-based support)
Balsall Common & South Coventry
Eleanor (NCT) 07786 490 252 / 0844 243 6265
Dana (NCT) 07868 287 554 (charge for home-based support)
Drop-in feeding support sessions: Children’s Centres / NCT/ La Leche Groups:
NCT Breastfeeding Counsellor drop-in - FREE Mondays (term-time) 10.30 to 11.30 am Babtist Church, Castle Hill (to check dates contact 07906 959 632)
Bosum Buddies Café FREE (Mon 2-3.30pm) Clopton Children’s Centre Tel 01789 414016
Breastfeeding Café FREE (Thurs 11-12.30) Stratford children’s Centre Tel 01789 266 624
NCT Breastfeeding Counsellor drop-in : FREE support (Thursdays 1.30 to 2.30pm) @ The Family Tree Club, Leamington CV32 4QS Call 01926 312820 to check dates/times
Kenilworth Children’s Centre & St. John’s Children’s Centre: FREE drop-in every week – alternating between the 2 children's centre venues each Weds 10.30 – 11.30am. Tel 01926 853 394 for details of location & times.
Other Local Sources of information & help:
Bump to 3 'BUMP & BEYOND! Evenings' - 1st Thursday bi-monthly 7pm - 8.30pm @ The Family Tree, Leamington CV32 4QS
For parents-to-be (from 12 weeks into pregnancy) and new parents. A friendly, informal event offering you an opportunity to explore options for pregnancy, birth & early days with a newborn, to discover local services & to meet local like-minded people! Refreshments available. Resource Pack (including 'Tommy's' Healthy Pregnancy Book provided for all Parents-2-B who attend! Booking is required please via the Events listing on https://www.facebook.com/BumpToThree/
NEXT 2017 - 2018 DATEs: please check our facebook page (click the icon- top right)
FREE 'Bump to 3' Drop-ins:
- CALMs (Calling All Little Miracles) - FREE drop-in for parents of preterm babies, in affiliation with BLISS.
- Held at Newburgh Children's Centre, Warwick (room kindly donated by Barnardos). 1st Thursday morning of each month from 11am to 12,30pm.
- 'Great Expectations' - FREE 'Positive Birth Movement' drop-in for parents-to-be (around the CV37 area)
- for all parents-to-be, our monthly meet-up for relaxed conversations about all things birth-related! Pop along to share thoughts, questions, suggestions and + tips for a positive approach to birth, whether that's for a hospital, home or caesarian birth - whichever way you choose or have been advised will be best for you. Find out about local resources + start to build your local friendships for linking up postnatally. Linked to the national 'Positive Birth Movement'. Held MONTHLY on a Saturday morning (11 am to 12.30) just outside Stratford-upon-Avon from September 2015. Free on-site parking & lovely relaxing venue! For dates & to confirm your visit please TEXT 07742 317959 or Get in Touch here. We look forward to seeing you soon!
- 'Bump to 3' PANDAs FREE antenatal & post-natal illness support drop-in (in CV34 area (****NB/ CURRENTLY ON HOLD****)
- linked to the national PANDAs Foundation for pre- and post-natal depression friendship, help & support. Co-ordinated by Clair of Bump to 3 and occasionally hosted by Rebecca, mum of 2. Meet-up on Friday mornings anytime from 10.30 am to 12 pm, in a lovely relaxing side room (for our private use only) Please feel free to bring babies from birth to being mobile (due to limited space / safety constraints). Feeding support available too Further info & support www.PandasFoundation.org.uk.
- 'Bump to 3' H.U.G.S.S. 5 week postnatal wellbeing programme based at CV34 - for new mums experiencing anxiety & low mood, referred by health visitors or by self-referral. A more structured support session than the PANDAs drop-in & supported by local practitioners. Cost to cover room-hire only £3 per week (held on demand when funding is available) on consecutive Tuesday afternoons. From summer 2015 coordinated (pro-bono) by Clair of Bump to 3 C.I.C.
PARENTS-in-MIND support sessions - For new mothers who are experiencing postnatal depression or anxiety. Held weekly in venues around Warwick, Leamngton and Coventry. Self-referral / referral by health professional needed. Get in Touch for contact details of the PiM Co-ordinator.
BABYWEARING & safe sling use - pop over to www.coventryslings.co.uk for details of sling meet-ups and sources of advice in Coventry & Rugby. Also host several loval Facebook pages (aslo several Closed Groups).
Complementary Therapies, Support, Info & Activities. A range of tried & trusted services & therapies for prospective mums, antenatal mums and new mums - based in Warwickshire. Visit: pregnancyandbirthnetwork.co.uk
Reuseable Nappy Advice
Nappucinos Coffee Mornings (Wed 10.30 – 11.30am) at the Cotton Nappy Company, Leamington. Tel Anna 01926 740 871
National Breastfeeding Network Helpline
Tel 0300 100 0212
La Leche League Helpline for feeding support
Tel 0845 120 2918
NCT Breastfeeding Line
Tel 0845 120 2918
NCT Helpline (for a range of issues)
Tel 0300 330 0700
NCT Postnatal Helpline(9am to 1pm, Mon to Fri)
Tel 0300 330 0773
NCT Shared Experiences Helpline (9am to 3pm, Tues, Wed, Thurs)
Tel 0300 330 0774
National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline (24-hours) Tel 0808 2000 247
To check the safety of practitioners and health professionals:
Contact the relevant regulatory body to ensure that you choose a practitioner or therapist who is genuine (& who meets national standards), and that you are also protected by a complaints process:
- Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) – lists qualified practitioners in 14 professions: including physiotherapists, speech & language therapists, chiropodists etc.
- go to hpcheck.org
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) – for currently registered nurses, midwives, specialist community public health nurses (health visitors)
- go to: nmc-uk.org
- General Chiropractic Council (GCC) – for chiropractors
- go to: gcc-uk.org
- General Osteopathic Council (GOsC) – for osteopaths
- go to: osteopathy.org.uk
Other Professional Associations are accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (ie have Codes of Practice and Competencies) for practitioners & professionals whose roles are not yet included on a statutory register. These are listed on the Accredited Registers Directory on the designated website: ProfessionalStandards.org.uk. Some of these, relevent to new families are:
British Acupuncture Council (BAcC) - self-regulatory body for the practice of traditional acupuncture in the UK.
British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
– for accredited counsellors go to: bacp.co.uk
Association of Child Psychotherapists - professional body for child & adolescent psychotherapists in the UK.
Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) - holds the register of complementary healthcare practitioners with the key aim of protecting the public from those who are untrained. In 2010 GPs were advised by the NHS Department of Health to ensure that any therapists that their patients were seeing were registered with the CNHC.
Federation of Holistic Therapists - lists qualified & insured therapists.
National Counselling Society - lists safe & ethical practitioners.
National Hypnotherapy Society - lists safe & ethical hypnotherapists.
Society of Homeopaths - lists homeopathy practitioners who are trained to high standards & adhere to a strict code of ethics & practice.
UK Council for Psychotherapy - national registers for psychotherapists for adults as well as those who are qualified to work with children & young people, as well as psychotherapeutic counsellors.
Other national sources of information, help & advice (including on-line resources)
Tommys - Information & advice for parents-to-be. Free Helpline - 'Tommy's PregnancyLine' 0800 0147 800. visit Tommys.org.uk
Antenatal Results and Choices (ARC) Helpline: 0845 0772290 Website: arc-uk.org
Warwickshire Stop Smoking Service Tel 0800 085 2917 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Association of Breasteeding Mothers - for listing of ABM breastfeeding Counsellors Tel 0844 - 122949 Visit: ABM.org
An NHS Trust feeding support website: AmazingBreastmilk.org.uk
Best Beginnings - a charity producing resources supportive of breastfeeding. Endorsed by the Royal College of Midwives. Website: Bestbeginnings.org.uk
Breastfeeding Network - live on-line help via website: breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk
Lactation Consultants of Great Britian - for listings of qualified breastfeeding consultants visit : LCGB.org
La Leche League (GB) - breastfeeding support groups & info Tel 0845 1202918 Visit: LaLeche.org.uk
Exercise advice + listing of registered personal trainers:
Register of Exercise Professionals (UK)
Members are required to abide by a Code of Ethical Conduct, and have to have achieved National Occupational Standards in order to register. – go to: exerciseregister.org
Baby Massage qualified practitioners (the only reliable listings in the UK of properly qualified practitioners)
The International Association of Infant Massage (IAIM) Website for parents has lots of useful background info.:
visit - iaimbabymassage.org.uk - for listings of trained IAIM baby massage 'instructors'.
Postnatal Depression, Anxiety (& low mood), Birth Trauma, + Maternal Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - help, advice & support
theSmileGroup.org - on-line support for women experiencing postnatal emotional distress.
Association for Postnatal Illness - apni.org offers a Helpline Monday to Friday between 10.00am and 2.00pm (they get around 9,000 calls each year). Also other useful & reassuring info.
PANDAS - listing of support groups & help for antenatal & postnatal depression. Incorportates a designated service for new dads who are coping with parter (or own) pre/post-natal depression: Fathers Reaching Out. Visit pandasfoundation.org.uk Helpline Tel 0843 2898401 (Mon. to Sun. 9am to 8pm)
FathersReachingOut.com - support group/network for men whose wives or partners are suffering from post natal depression.
MaternalOCD.org - website offering links to info & support for antenatal & postnatal women who may be experiencing obsessive behavioural symptoms. Email email@example.com
Birth Trauma Association - The Birth Trauma Association offers help and support to women who have been traumatised by the birth of their child. The website is: BirthTraumaAssociation.org.uk